In a message dated 12/11/02 12:26:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Date:    Tue, 10 Dec 2002 18:49:40 EST
> From:    Marilyn Knight <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Eye problems
>
> Hello Friends.i
> I'm Marilyn from Florida and need your input.
> Does anyone on the network have an opinion about Parkinson's and the effect
> on
> ones eyesight?  My vision has deteriorated quite rapidly of late.  Before
> this past year my eyesight had remained quite constant with little need for
> change in glasses. Now I cannot read the phone book, for instance and
> anything short of large size print needs to be in good light or read with a
> reading glass.  Handiwork sewing, knitting, etc is out of the question.  I
> was diagnosed in 1998.  Major problem is tremor on left side mostly in leg
> which is almost constant except for sleep time.  I have trouble sleeping
> more
> than 5 hours, take no daytime naps and don't feel sleepy during the day.
> Other symptoms are drooling, stumbled walking; and memory loss.  No
> dementia.
> I take Mirapex - 2 mg per day and Sinemet 2 per day strength 50/200.  The
> various messages on the Parkinson's network are informative and even
> comforting to me. knightam2aol.com

Re: Eye Problems

When was your last eye exam by an M.D. - ophthalmologist?  Before you ascribe
your visual difficulties to Parkinson's, I would suggest making certain you
don't have cataracts or some other purely ophthalmic reason for poor vision.
Having PD does not exempt us from the usual problems of aging eyes--glaucoma,
presbyopia, cataract, macular degeneration, ischemic attacks causing visual
loss or ocular motor nerve palsies causing double vision.

Some visual problems are especially common in PD:
1. Drying of the cornea owing to infrequent blink, exacerbated by autonomic
dysfunction and medicines, causes eye pain and blurred vision. Treat by
clearing up blepharitis with lid scrubs and applying preservative-free
artificial tears frequently. When vision blurs after reading for a few
minutes, just try blinking four or five times.

 2. Convergence insufficiency causes diplopia [double vision] at near [for
reading].

 3. Less often divergence insufficiency causes diplopia at distance
[driving].
 Prism and/or translucent occlusion of one spectacle lens improves function
 and comfort.

 4. Vertical gaze may be slowed or difficult to control. Upgaze may become
slowed or absent in the elderly with PD. In "PSP"" [progressive supranuclear
palsy -  Steele-Richardson-Olshewsky] downgaze is especially impaired and
fixation instability [ i.e. square-wave-jerks] makes reading difficult. For
these reasons - among others - bifocals are a bad idea and reading will be
easier with separate glasses for near and distance vision, not requiring you
to look down to find the reading segment.  Balance problems can make bifocals
-especially Varilux lenses without the line  -- difficult to use and unsafe
to walk in.

 5. It's hard to read when your head is shaking or you cant hold a book
still.

Your eye-M.D. should be able to sort out the problem and if he/she can't,
then see a neuro-ophthalmologist.

Jacqueline Winterkorn, Ph.D., M.D.