Posted per Linda H's request:
Subject: Things that make you go "hmmmmmmmmmmmm"

From: "Anonymous" <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 06:46:02 -0700

Read this and was a bit dismayed by 2 statements:

1. When you first get the disease, you're doing OK. But three or four
years into the disease you're doing terribly" 2. Both groups had a
median age of about 65. Number one I don't think is a fair statement,
and not sure what the source was. Does thismmean in two more years I
will be doing terribly (gives me a lot of hope!!" Number two shows that
the issue of young onset is still being minimalized by yhe community at
large. Reent research is showing almost 40% of us are diagnosed between
40 & 50.

answer

having run a pd clinic of nearly 5,000 people in phoenix

and a pd clinic clinic of nearly 3,000 in miami the mean age is 60

we do not have a national data base

this is why we read that there are between 500,000 to 1,200,000 people
with pd it depends on who did the survery and the bias in that clinic's
population most community based surveys (where a whole community is

surveyed) reveal mean age of 60 some clinic surveys (where the

population of a specialty clinic is surveyed) reveals a mean age of less
that 60 because young onset people will gravitate to speciality clinics

although some people think there has been a shift to a younger age
population in pd there is no read evidence to show this abe lieberman

Thomas Berdine
President
Young Onset Parkinson's Association
www.yopa.org
Founder
www.youngparkinsons.com

The Young Onset Parkinson's Association is a legal corporation,
incorporated as a not-for-profit in New Mexico and headquartered in
Albuquerque. We are in the middle of applying for our 501C(3) federal
tax exemption status and expect to have it within 2 - 6 months. If this
exemption is not approved, at first, your donation may not be tax exempt
until the time that we are approved federally.

---