>Hello all.
>At the suggestion of my neuro at the Cleve Clinic,  I am beginning to
>explore Deep Brain Stimulation.  Any experiences, information sources,
>resources, etc. ?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Patrick

Patrick quite a few on Parkinsn have undergone DBS surgery including myself.

I have had excellent results although optimal tuning after the implants can
be problematic and time consuming.

On the whole, less than 1% of the patients experience infections and that is
more of a hospital problem rather than the DBS procedure and in those
facilities all surgeries experience the infection problem.

The Parkinsn website is partnered with Healthology.com in making videos
available online about the selection and the procedure. Parkinsn isn't the
only website partnered with Healthology and several of the Parkinson's
organizations including the Parkinson Alliance offer them.

P-I-E-N-O/Parkinsn website:

http://parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com

Parkinson Alliance website:

http://www.parkinsonalliance.net

In short, the DBS procedure is offered at many teaching hospitals and while
the end result is similar, the length of time on the table varies from 2
hours to 8 hours. Recovery time until hospital discharge varies from one
night to three nights.

The 2 hour DBS procedure is described at:
http://parkinsons-information-exchange-network-online.com/archive/109a.html

The 6 hour DBS procedure is described at:
http://www.med.nyu.edu/neurosurgery/articles/movement_2.html

Medicare covers the procedure along with supplemental insurance if the
bilateral procedure is staged, doing one side at a time.

There is a website devoted to people who have had DBS.

http://www.wiredforlife.org

Patrick welcome to the list, I'm glad you are here.

John Cottingham
Co-owner Parkinsn
Webmaster P-I-E-N-O