*Daily PD news at HYPERLINK
"www.youngparkinsons.com"www.youngparkinsons.com
By PETE McALEER Statehouse Bureau, (609)-292-4935

TRENTON - Fred Ferrari knows no law ever can be enacted to allow him to
get out of his wheelchair and walk again.

But Ferarri, 67, of Flemington, Hunterdon County, said a bill approved
by the state Senate on Monday to allow and promote stem-cell research in
New Jersey provides hope for the future. That's why he went to Trenton,
so he could watch from the floor of the Senate as the bill passed 25-0.

"It seems there should be no question about it," Ferarri said, comparing
stem-cell research to the space program launched by President Kennedy in
the 1960s. "This is not for ourselves, but for our children and
grandchildren."

The bill now heads to the Democratic-controlled Assembly. If it passes
there, Gov. James E. McGreevey is expected to quickly sign it into law.

That would make New Jersey the second state to pass legislation that
counters the federal government's restrictions on stem-cell research.

President Bush prohibited the federal funding of stem-cell research
earlier this year and banned all forms of stem-cell cloning. New
Jersey's bill allows for therapeutic cloning - essentially the cloning
of one's own DNA for medical purposes - but it bans the use of cells for
reproductive cloning.

Anti-abortion groups and the Catholic Church strongly oppose the
measure. They instead encourage the use of adult stem cells - umbilical
cord blood - for medical research.

Marie Tasy, director of public and legislative affairs for New Jersey
Right to Life, said she was "shocked and disgusted" by the Senate's
vote. She said the bill encourages human beings to be harvested and then
killed for spare parts.

"In their quest for national fame and notoriety, New Jersey lawmakers
have acted irresponsibly to create a foul climate where ghoulish human
experimentation and organ harvesting will be performed and human embryo
and fetal farms will flourish throughout our state," Tasy said.

Stem cells form very early in an embryo's growth and eventually develop
into different types of cells to form various organs and other parts of
the body.

State Sen. Richard J. Codey, co-sponsor of the bill, said the
legislation actually makes human cloning - and the sale and purchase of
embryos - illegal in the state.

Although the bill does not provide for government funding, it allows
scientists to work with embryonic stem cells obtained from fertility
treatments. It also requires health-care professionals in New Jersey to
inform patients at fertility clinics about the option to donate embryos
for scientific research.

Scientists use the embryos to study cures for spinal cord injuries,
Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis and other
diseases.

"Our state has the rare opportunity to serve as a beacon of hope for
those suffering from a variety of life-threatening illnesses and
debilitating conditions," said Codey, D-Essex. "It is our responsibility
as legislators to ensure that this hope is not stifled."

State Sen. Gerald Cardinale, R-Bergen, led the opposition against the
bill. One of 15 senators to abstain from voting, Cardinale said the
research is an unethical attempt to change federal law.

"You can't kill one person in order to help somebody else get well,"
Cardinale said.

Supporters of the research say thousands of unwanted embryos are simply
discarded each year as medical waste. Bill co-sponsor state Sen. Barbara
Buono, D-Middlesex, said the legislation provides needed assurance for
scientists who might otherwise leave the state.

"We must either support this emerging field now or forever regret that
we did not work to advance this science, which could save millions of
lives," Buono said.

To e-mail Pete McAleer at The Press:

Thomas Berdine
President
Young Onset Parkinson's Association
HYPERLINK "www.yopa.org"www.yopa.org
Founder
HYPERLINK "www.youngparkinsons.com"www.youngparkinsons.com

The Young Onset Parkinson's Association is a legal corporation,
incorporated as a not-for-profit in New Mexico and headquartered in
Albuquerque. We are in the middle of applying for our 501C(3) federal
tax exemption status and expect to have it within 2 - 6 months. If this
exemption is not approved, at first, your donation may not be tax exempt
until the time that we are approved federally.

---