Read this and was a bit dismayed by 2 statements:
1.  When you first get the disease, you're doing OK. But three or four
years into the disease you're doing terribly"
2.  Both groups had a median age of about 65.
Number one I don't think is a fair statement, and not sure what the
source was. Does thismmean in two more years I will be doing terribly
(gives me a lot of hope!!"
Number two shows that the issue of young onset is still being
minimalized by yhe community at large.  Reent research is showing almost
40% of us are diagnosed between 40 & 50.

HYPERLINK
"http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82%257E1804%257E1055832,00
.html#"http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82%257E1804%257E1055
832,00.html#
Study: Parkinson's patients not safe behind the wheel
By Wes Allison
ST. PETERSBURG TIMES

ANEW study by researchers in Tampa found that Parkinson's patients are
much more likely to be involved in car accidents, especially as the
disease progresses.

In an article published in the journal Neurology, the study recommends
establishing guidelines for when patients should surrender their
licenses, a notion gaining popularity among some advocates and
researchers, but one most states have not addressed.

"We shouldn't be afraid to say that we need to monitor a patient's
driving ability when they advance in disease," said Dr. Theresa A.
Zesiewicz, associate professor of neurology at the University of South
Florida and the study's lead author.

"We're not talking about restricting patients on a global scale," she
said. "What we're talking about is there needs to be dialogue, that
physicians need to be aware that there is a potential problem. . . . And
as (patients) advance in disease, their driving ability . . . needs to
be carefully monitored."

About 4 million Americans have Parkinson's disease. Although the study
focused on Parkinson's, experts say it raises issues germane to a
variety of diseases affecting mind and body.

All states have special licensing requirements for people who suffer
seizures, as from epilepsy but most don't address progressive
neurological diseases such as Alzheimer's or Parkinson's.

Whether people keep driving is usually left to them. Their family or
doctor may influence them, but Dr. Abraham Lieberman, medical director
of the National Parkinson's Foundation, said it's often hard to tell if
someone should be driving.

Lieberman recommends people with Parkinson's -- or any neurologic
disease -- go to a driver's license office, explain their condition and
ask for a road test. They should retake the test periodically, he added.

"When you first get the disease, you're doing OK. But three or four
years into the disease you're doing terribly," said Lieberman, a
neurology professor at the University of Miami, "and there's no
provision for someone to say 'OK, you've had Parkinson's, come and see
me.' "

The researchers enrolled 39 volunteers with Parkinson's and 25 without
any neurologic disease. Both groups had a median age of about 65. After
practicing for about 15 minutes, they were tested on a driving
simulator.

The test counted only the accidents that the computer considered fatal.
Although Zesiewicz said she expected the Parkinson's patients to crash
more, she was shocked by the magnitude:

Among those with the earliest stage of Parkinson's -- Stage 1 on a
five-stage scale -- 20 percent were involved in an accident, versus just
a fraction of study participants without the disease. 56 percent of
Stage 2 patients crashed. And 90 percent of Stage 3 Parkinson's patients
crashed.

All of the Stage 4 patients crashed, and Stage 5 patients generally are
considered unable to drive. Only a few of the non-Parkinson's patients
crashed.

Thomas Berdine
President
Young Onset Parkinson's Association
HYPERLINK "www.yopa.org"www.yopa.org
Founder
HYPERLINK "www.youngparkinsons.com"www.youngparkinsons.com

The Young Onset Parkinson's Association is a legal corporation,
incorporated as a not-for-profit in New Mexico and headquartered in
Albuquerque. We are in the middle of applying for our 501C(3) federal
tax exemption status and expect to have it within 2 - 6 months. If this
exemption is not approved, at first, your donation may not be tax exempt
until the time that we are approved federally.

---