Date sent:              Tue, 24 Dec 2002 04:40:03 EST
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
From:                   Jeannie Leroux <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Palladomy
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> My husband's neurologist said he thought they have done all they could
> with medication, and it might soon be time for an inplant surgery.  He
> is not doing well at all.  A divice similar to a pacemaker would be
> put into his chest and a wire into the part of the brain.  Is this
> what is called a palladomy.  Can someone help me find more information
> about this?

Pallidotomy is an operation which destroys a part of the portion of
the brain that mediates movements.  It has some benefits in selected
cases, but often the results are short-term (a few years).  It was
very popular in the sixties, then lost favor, then "came back" in the
nineties; but has, once again, started to drop out of favor.

The "state-of-the-art" in surgical treatment of Parkinson's disease
is now DBS (deep brain stimulation) which is what seems to have been
mentioned to you.  It is the best thing available these days for
those cases where surgical treatment becomes necessary.  It should be
done only at a center where they are experienced in such.

Pallidotomy, once done, usually makes it impossible for a patient to
have DBS (because the destructive aspect of the pallidotomy changes
the anatomy).

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
Neurological Surgery
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, CA  94704-2636  USA
510-849-2555     FAX: 510-849-2557
<http://www.rafink.com/>
"Ex Tristitia Virtus"

Disclaimer:  That which is written in my e-mail is not to be
considered as "medical advice".  Such advice can only be
given after a formal, in-person, consultation between
doctor and patient.