Hi jp and Hi All,

All I'm tryin' to say is I'm impressed and I hope they
have this fine tuned by the time you 'n I reach that
H & Y Stage 5...

Not too much out there fer stage 5 folks y'know
and improvements of this magnitude should be
trumpeted o'er the land ....

My great aunt had Parkinson's in the 1940's (also her
40's) and died in an institution, rigid, helpless, unable
to speak, unable to move, strapped to a guerney...

Then we got levadopa - a vast improvement!

In the intervening 50 years we have only a handful
of  other new drugs and some promising surgical
treatments... As yet no CURE y' know....

I remain impressed...

cheers ....... murray

On 22 Dec 2002 at 14:39, janet paterson wrote:

> i've only ever heard of one other parky who had any kind of
> "intraintestinal pump for levodopa" and that was the late
> grate alan bonander; and that was several years ago
>
> similar pumps and injectible meds and transdermal patches
> have all been presented as possibilities in research
> in those same years but nothing definitive has shown up yet
>
> (a study involving 6 people may have impressive results
> but it is probably not a large enough number
> to be considered 'definitive')
>
> it seems to me
> that there is still a lot to learn about the existing pd meds
> and their interactions with each other in polypharmacy,
> let alone figuring out new meds or new 'vehicles'
>
> and the news media is what it is:
> 'news-worthy' criteria currently seem to be
> mega-dollars
> or
> mega-scandal
> or
> mega-tragedy
>
> follow the $$$ and the $tudy $ponsor$
> and carry a big $alt $haker
>

> janet
>

> janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit primarily perky, parky
> pd: 55-41-37 cd: 55-44-43 tel: 613-256-8340 email: [log in to unmask]
> smail: 301-375 Country Street, Almonte, Ontario, Canada, K0A 1A0
> a new voice website: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/

* * *
Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
http://www.geocities.com/murraycharters/