On Fri, 27 Dec 2002 23:22:05 EST Kathleen Cochran <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
 I'm beginning  to think we need the PD equivalent of Act Up -- not the
usual plucky,
> gallant, gracious PwP-next-door stuff, but something more along the
lines of
> "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more."

I agree Kathleen,
What we are facing in 2003:
--The new 108th Congress will be in session beginning Jan.7th. Their
first business will be finalizing FY2003 federal budget, which the last
Congress couldn't complete. It was reported that the NIH and medical
research funding are likely to loose millions of dollars.
--There will be continued efforts to ban and criminalize therapeutic
cloning research.
-- Currently according to the NIH only 9 of the promised 70 stem cell
lines are available to researchers.
--There still is no Medicare prescription drug coverage.
--Due to cuts for health and economic funding by the federal government ,
state and local governments are facing a severe budget crisis - millions
could loose their Medicaid coverage and health insurance.

What can we do?
Join with others who as Kathleen wrote are" not going to take it any
more."

SEE: Parkinson's Action Network  www.parkinsonsaction.org

SEE: Grassroots Connection www.grassrootsconnection.com

On the Grassroots site read the Voices to Inspire People for some
examples of what individuals can do to fight against PD.
Be sure to read the newest  profile of  PD advocate and PIEN list member
Perry Cohen - it will give you hope for the future and inspiration to
join the fight.

Linda