From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2002 10:22 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: More trouble: Clonaid

Hi All -

By now you've no doubt heard about the first supposedly cloned baby.  It
was
only a matter of time before such claims would surface.  And it saddens
me.

Why?  One reason is obvious.  This is unproven technology that has not
been
researched by qualified scientists.  In animal experiments in cloning
the
results have proven to be disastrous with the cloned subject having a
short
lifespan and/or having severe abnormalities.

Another reason?  Yes, and this one is more subtle and directly affects
all of
us.  I predict this debacle will used to further limit research on ALL
types
of cloning.  That includes those which have potential benefit to the PD
community.

In sum, the recent announcement by Clonaid (of its undocumented
"success" in
human cloning) is bad news for society in general and people with severe
illness in particular.

Jim

To sign-off Parkinsn send a message to:
mailto:[log in to unmask]