Thought I would weigh in on the discussion.  I find any rationale that
limits appropriate medical treatment because of cost a little contradictory
for two reasons.  First, I think a hallmark of a great society is how it
treats its criminals, downtrodden, and sick.  All should be treated humanely
which, includes any appropriate treatment.  Second, I believe that much of
Parkinsons is a result of environmental influence which includes manmade
items.  Society has reaped certain advantages from using some items whose
full effect apparently is not known.  (Without getting into the causes of
Parkinsons, lets assume that herbicides cause Paarkinsons in some
people--then society has reaped the benefit of greater food supplies by
poisoning some of its own)  If that same society withholds appropriate
treatment because of cost, it allows a society to continue to ignore the bad
effects because it can ignore the cost of properly diagnosing and treating
those effects.  Much of our society is based on the cost(risk)/benefit
analysis and if we ignore the risks because they cost too much then someone
is getting a free ride at our expense!  How much has society gained through
the use of items which hurt some of its own??  Only until we know that
answer, can we really use the cost card to limit diagnosis and treatment.

So, for me, the only appropriate question re the use of any scan is, is it
appropriate for the condition?  And, I dont know all of the medical and
technical reasons to adequately answer that but I do know this:  Parkinsons
is frequently misdiagnosed and the effects of Parkinsons are even less
understood--e.g. how varied they are, and the impact on autonomic and
psychological aspects.   And, one aspect of any chronic illness is the
ability to plan for our incapacitation.  Only correct diagnosis allows this.
There is so much that is not understood about this disease that it
thoroughly frustrates me at times -- for the most part, I think we have a
well-intentioned but very poorly informed medical profession.  If this scan
will help to promote the correct diagnosis of some patients then lets belly
up to the bar and stop giving someone/somewhere a free ride at their
expense!

I will now step down from my soapbox.  Bob