From: Bill Woolley [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2002 2:57 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: F-Dopa or any scan

Excellent!
Merry Christmas
and a Happy New Year
Bill
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bob Allison
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2002 5:47 AM
  Subject: F-Dopa or any scan

  Thought I would weigh in on the discussion.  I find any rationale that
  limits appropriate medical treatment because of cost a little
contradictory
  for two reasons.  First, I think a hallmark of a great society is how
it
  treats its criminals, downtrodden, and sick.  All should be treated
humanely
  which, includes any appropriate treatment.  Second, I believe that
much of
  Parkinsons is a result of environmental influence which includes
manmade
  items.  Society has reaped certain advantages from using some items
whose
  full effect apparently is not known.  (Without getting into the causes
of
  Parkinsons, lets assume that herbicides cause Paarkinsons in some
  people--then society has reaped the benefit of greater food supplies
by
  poisoning some of its own)  If that same society withholds appropriate
  treatment because of cost, it allows a society to continue to ignore
the bad
  effects because it can ignore the cost of properly diagnosing and
treating
  those effects.  Much of our society is based on the cost(risk)/benefit
  analysis and if we ignore the risks because they cost too much then
someone
  is getting a free ride at our expense!  How much has society gained
through
  the use of items which hurt some of its own??  Only until we know that
  answer, can we really use the cost card to limit diagnosis and
treatment.

  So, for me, the only appropriate question re the use of any scan is,
is it
  appropriate for the condition?  And, I dont know all of the medical
and
  technical reasons to adequately answer that but I do know this:
Parkinsons
  is frequently misdiagnosed and the effects of Parkinsons are even less
  understood--e.g. how varied they are, and the impact on autonomic and
  psychological aspects.   And, one aspect of any chronic illness is the
  ability to plan for our incapacitation.  Only correct diagnosis allows
this.
  There is so much that is not understood about this disease that it
  thoroughly frustrates me at times -- for the most part, I think we
have a
  well-intentioned but very poorly informed medical profession.  If this
scan
  will help to promote the correct diagnosis of some patients then lets
belly
  up to the bar and stop giving someone/somewhere a free ride at their
  expense!

  I will now step down from my soapbox.  Bob

  To sign-off Parkinsn send a message to:
mailto:[log in to unmask]