Posted on Sun, Dec. 29, 2002

Animal-to-human transplants hold potential
BY FELICE FREYER
The Providence Journal

SOUTH KINGSTOWN, R.I. - KRT NEWSFEATURES

(KRT) - People who remember Baby Faye, who for four weeks in
1984 had a baboon heart beating in her tiny chest, may think that the
practice of transplanting animal organs to humans is a doomed
science, and a morally suspect one at that.

But in fact, xenotransplantation - the transfer of animal cells,
tissues or organs to humans - will soon be ready for medical practice
and can help many people with diabetes, Parkinson's disease and other
ailments, a University of Rhode Island professor said last month at
the University of Rhode Island's colloquium on Genetic Technology and
Public Policy.

Richard C. Rhodes III, vice provost and professor of animal and
veterinary science, said that failures of xenoplantation have been
well publicized, while the successes have been quieter and harder to
grasp. "Xenotransplantation holds tremendous potential," he said.

Rhodes started his lecture, titled "From Animals to Humans: Progress,
Prospects and Problems with Xenotransplantation," by projecting a
cartoon of a creature genetically engineered from a human, a trout
and a turnip. The scientist admiring the bizarre creation comments,
"I'm not sure why we did it, but why the hell not?"

The cartoon, Rhodes said, raises an important question for
biotechnology: "Ought we to do what we can do?" Should we put baboon
hearts in human babies? Should we raise pigs just to harvest their
organs?

One reason for even asking, Rhodes said, can be found in the
statistics on organ donation: In 2001, 78,524 people were waiting for
donated organs, but only 24,090 received them, and 6,238 died waiting
for organs.

Artificial organs have not worked well, and the quality of life of
patients who have tried them has been very low. Raising awareness of
organ donation has not yielded enough organs.

Of course, the best-known experiments in animal-to-human transplants
have fared no better. Doctors in the 1960s tried baboon and
chimpanzee kidney transplants, but no patient lived more than 70
days. In 1993, transplant pioneer Dr. Thomas Starzl tranplanted
baboon livers into two HIV patients, but they soon died.

Meanwhile, though, outside the glare of publicity, other forms
xenotransplantation have met with greater success, Rhodes said. Pig
heart valves have long been used to replace failed valves in human
hearts. In 1998, a patient's blood was successfully filtered through
a pig's liver outside his body. Neural cells from pigs have been used
experimentally to treat Parkinson's disease and Huntington's disease.

Why pigs instead of primates? Although monkey and apes are closely
related to humans, our fellow primates are not good sources of
tissues for human use. They carry many viruses that people can catch,
require complex and costly housing arrangements, take a long time to
grow up, and have long pregnancies and low birth rates.

Pigs are exactly the opposite, Rhodes said. They're easy to care for,
have lived in close proximity to people for generations, and produce
lots of young quickly.

But there's a big problems with pigs. Pig cells, like those of all
nonprimates, bear a marker that human immune system strongly
recognizes as foreign. Pig organs implanted in a human trigger an
extreme form of rejection that rapidly shuts down the blood vessels.

Now, however, a possible solution is at hand. In September 2001,
researcher Randy Prather of Immerge BioTherapeutics reported that he
had genetically engineered pigs so that their cells do not bear the
"foreign" marker. Theoretically, organs harvested from such pigs
would not induce the extreme immune reaction.

Xenotransplantation still poses other challenges, Rhodes cautioned,
particularly the possibility of transmitting viruses from animals to
humans that could then infect other humans. And questions of animal
welfare must be addressed. Rhodes said he doesn't believe that
animals have rights, but that humans have a moral obligation to treat
them well.

But these are issues that can be dealt with, he said.

"Ought we to do what we can do?" Rhodes asked, returning to his
original question. "I would say, `Yeah.' " The potential to help
people suffering from diabetes, organ failure, Parkinson's disease,
Huntington's disease, epilepsy and stroke is just too great to
ignore, he said.

But, Rhodes added, "Before we move forward, it's important that we
implement cogent policies."

He quoted Sir Roy Calne, the British transplant surgeon, as saying 10
years ago, "Clinical xenotransplantation is just around the corner,
but unfortunately it may be a very long corner."

"That corner," Rhodes said, "is very close and in fact may even be
here now."

---

SOURCE: The Providence Journal
http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/news/4835258.htm