Roberta,
I am 51 also and have had PD for 3 or 4 years.  The meds have helped me
tremendously to retain a somewhat 'normal' lifestyle.  I take Sinemet and i
have continued to work full time but without the med it would be difficult
for me.  Good luck in going through this diagnoising stage which can be very
frustrating, however, this list can be very helpful at times and we all have
something in common and share a common goal. You will see that everyone can
have different symptoms and experiance different difficulities but don't be
afraid to ask questions.
Regarding the fava beans, my nuero asked me not to eat them as it is hard to
control the dose of levadopa and I am already taking it in pill form.  We
have an excellant source for nutrition on this list - Katheryn Holden with a
site at nutritionucanlivewith.com (I think thats right, help me out here
guys) and she has written several books for PWP which have helped me a great
deal.  Good Luck!
Diane