In the hands of the young and talented people at the Young Onset
Parkinson’s
Association (YOPA), their first symposium was a stunning success. With
only two
months of planning, the event went off without a hitch.

Friday morning began a gorgeous Albuquerque day with 700 hot air
balloons beginning
their mass ascension right outside of the hotel, which seemed to set the
tone for the
conference. The symposium began with a bang as the YOPA team was
introduced and
the speakers began. The speakers were: Susan Reese (APDA) who discussed
resources
for young onset patients, Dr. Andrew Singleton (NIH) who discussed the
genetics of PD,
Dr. Marcus Keep (University of New Mexico) who discussed surgical
procedures for PD
with a focus on DBS, myself, and Russ Ahlstrom who is an author and 38
year diagnosed
PD patient. The presentations were very well put together and seemed to
flow into one
another nicely. Approximately 75 people participated in the conference.

My own experience at the conference was incredible. I talked about PAN
and our
mission, my own experience with Parkinson’s Disease and the importance
of advocacy.
The message was very well received. Many people came up to me afterwards
and were
very positive and encouraging. Several people told me their stories and
that they were
interested in getting more involved in advocacy. The audience was very
politically savvy
and asked good questions about things like the Parkinson’s Disease
Research Agenda,
stem cells, writing letters to their Members of Congress, etc.

The following day, the weather cooperated once again, giving beautiful
blue skies for the
1st Annual YOPA Walk. Prior to the walk, I was able to show the Udall
dinner film and
interact with the attendees. I was even able to sign a few people up to
be on PAN’s
mailing list. I then participated in the 2K walk along with about 30
members of the PD
community (there was also a 1K walk that a similar number of people
participated in).

The event was a great success. I was overwhelmed by how supportive and
excited people
were about my job and our mission. It was a remarkable experience, a
real highlight.

Laura Jane Cohen
Outreach Coordinator
Parkinson’s Action Network

The Young Onset Parkinson's Association is a legal corporation,
incorporated as a not-for-profit in New Mexico and headquartered in
Albuquerque. We are in the middle of applying for our 501C(3) federal
tax exemption status and expect to have it within 2 - 6 months. If this
exemption is not approved, at first, your donation may not be tax exempt
until the time that we are approved federally.

---