Theresa,
I don't count as a female roommate but on the question of cheaper
hotels, after being in New York for MLA and checking out some hotels, I
did some quick booking and got a rate of $119 / night at the Ameritania
Hotel, about a block and a half down 54th St from the Hilton, using
Travelocity.  There's probably better rates (and certainly better
hotels, though this one has a decent rating) out there but this was a
good combination of easy-to-find lower price and proximity to the Hilton
(an easy under-five-minute walk).

Anyway, those of you who want to search, just hop on Travelocity or
Expedia and search for hotels in the 10019 zip code, then use the map
display to check proximity to the Hilton.

By the way, (and maybe those of you with more experience in conference
travel are already aware of this and used to it), Travelocity lists
rates for the New York Hilton as follows:
Monday the 17th, $189/night
Tuesday the 18th, $229/night
Weds the 19th through Saturday the 22nd, $399 a night.

Now, I can understand jacking rates during a conference to discourage
the entire world from trying to book when you're trying to accomodate
several thousand conference-goers.  But I'm not sure I want to support a
hotel that *raises* from its *normal* rate for the conference-goers
themselves when it books a conference.  Maybe the above-standard
conference rate of over $200 for a single somehow subsizdizes the use of
the hotel's conference rooms?  (But I'm sure we're not getting them for
free anyway.)  And then one really must wonder how MLA (yes, yes, I know
there were a lot of people and I know it was a low booking time of year)
got them to only charge $139 a night.  Anyway, I just hate being yanked
around like that, along with the rate being so ridiculous, so I'm opting
out of the conference hotel.  :-(

Cheers --
Doug Downs
Teaching Fellow