Charley !
First Hand Report ...... I use a dog for mobility ....... My Dog, George is
a Lab and we trained him ourselves (more on that later)  George is a  very
laid back lab with a wonderful desire to help in any way that he can.  He
assists me in getting up or sitting down. He helps me up and down stairs one
step at a time, and when walking on the rough terain of our ranch, he gives
me needed stablity and balance. He has  almost straightened out my gait, but
best of all he can detect  freezing episodes and break them. I have trained
him to pick up anything that I drop and "hand " it to me (including  a
credit card, keys, plates, change, or even a hammer or other tools that I
drop).  He will also bring me objects that I place a laser pointer light on
including full 2 liter bottles of pop (soda for you easterners). He goes
everwhere that I do including  commercial airliners, VA hospital, etc. etc.
( no one can deny him access to any place that I go). George responds to
hand signals, verbal comands, and he neck reins like a roping horse for  the
days when I have trouble telling him to halt, back-up, etc. Most of the time
he carries small back packs with my meds, inhalers, and a hand held 2 way
FM radio etc. but  he can also manage quite a load of groceries (with the
handles of the plastic sacks tied together he parades proudly out to the
parking lot like a pack horse). At the big Walmart he can take me to where
we have parked the truck.  We are still working on the H/C door opener
buttons and helping me to pull  jacket sleeves and pants off. George is only
3 and has been working in public since he was a year old.

We breed large labs that are laid-back and have the correct temperment for
this type of work and even do some pre training. George uses a support
harness that came from http://www.trainerschoice.com  (aprox $60)  Training
is relatively easy using the  guidlines in 2 books from Top Dog (total cost
of about $32) they  train people with disabilities to train their own
service animals www.topdog.org  included is a crash course on dog
psychology, snd senarios for  most situations including those who are
wheelchair bound so that they can train their own dog. You cannot use them
to pull a wheel chair until after age 2 as their backs are not fully
developed and solidified yet.

I hope that this has been the info that you need, but  I would be happy to
provide more info on the dogs, training, etc. off list if you would like.
Rob