Charlotte:

Just as some people are allergic to penicillan, some might be to
quinine --- and not even know it.

It scares the hell out of me every time anyone recommends
quinine.

I am a Vietnam veteran and took quinine on a regular basis (for
Malaria prevention) with
no apparent ill effects.  I was hospitalized in Vietnam and Japan
(diagnosis dengue fever) and I never had unusual blood tests.

Many years after I got home I began having leg cramp problems and
was prescribed quinine --- which had minimal benefit, but some.

One day I went to the VA hospital for a checkup.  They took a
routine blood test and discovered I had a platelet count of about
7000 --- normal being 250,000 to 350,000 I was told.  I was
hospitalized for about a week and given a blood transfusion but
they never could find any reason for the low platelet count.

My count recovered quite quickly.

They told me to watch for a rash I had on my skin when I arrived
at
the hospital and return if I ever got it again.

Several years later we were coming home from a vacation and I
stopped at a Walmart and bought some quinine (it was then
available over the counter) for severe leg cramps.  Just some
relief to get me home.  The next morning I was sitting on the
stool and noticed I had that distinctive rash.

I went to the VA and told them I thought I had a low platelet
count.  A blood test proved I was correct --- it was about
10,000.

The same doctor in the hematology dept looked my records over
thoroughly and discovered I had reported taking a (1) quinine
pill prior to being hospitalized.  He said ---"I remember you.
We always remember the cases we can't solve."

It was determined I was allergic to quinine.  He determined my
platelet count had probably gone down to ZERO and the 10000
reading was the level I had recovered to at that point.

They wanted to hospitalize me again but I convinced them to let
be go home and be VERY CAREFUL for a few days until by blood
count recovered and the effect of the quinine --- ONE PILL ----
left my system.

If I had been injured in any way I could have bled to death ---
internally even.

The "rash" I had on my skin was caused by the blood leaking our
of my capillaries because of lack of platelets.  I had ABSOLUTELY
NO OTHER symptoms other than the almost unnoticeable rash.

How I developed an allergy to quinine after all those years
without taking any can not be determined?

All I can say is BE CAREFUL!

Paul Fahr