dear friends, all:
your kind words and all-around thoughtfulness has reminded me just how
jaded i have become after 13 years of living with pd has made me. i
guess that i have seen so many of these "cures" come down the highway
that i cannot get excited about anything. every time a major news anchor
comes on and tells about how this wonderful new treatment has been
discovered for pd, i just cringe, wondering how badly this "cure" will
affect my fellow parkies in whom hope springs eternal, or how it will
affect my fundraising. it took me along time to understand that these
"soundbites" are just that, rhetoric backed up with a fact or two and
the ability to start pd-ers heart's pumping and the general public to
sit back, breath a satisfied sigh of relief and to believe that
something's finally gonna make that  bit of unpleasantness (parkinson's,
cloning, stem cell research and all that rot) be put away while we deal
with north korea and saddam.
in fact it makes us all need to work harder than ever to remind people
that this disease is still incurable, still progressive, still life
altering, still painful, and still costing the government billions of
dollars in ss benefits, lost productivity, home and hospitalized patient
care. after the Q-10 hooplaa came out, i recieved phone calls from folks
all over thinking and asking "is it finally over for you?" as if to say
"could you please find something more palatable to talk about??" i know
theirs were not unkind questions but rather them becoming as fatigued
listening to me talk about pd as i ssometimes wonder what i used to talk
about.
raj and others, i'm sorry to have rained on your parade.....i sincerely
wish you the best and would be thrilled to be proved wrong...but i guess
i'm one of those who will need the proof before i sign on again for
anything that isn't tried and proven by medicial and scientific research.
i agree that if found today, a treatment alternative is still at least
ten years down the road and i, like many of you, cannot see the road
that far ahead-it may be too late for me, too. but then, we are only
given one day at a time and it is my intention to live each day with as
much dignity and grace that i can muster.
nancy, my dear friend, please call me or email me when you get a moment
and i will give you the info about the braces that i just got yesterday.
i don't want to raise anyone's hopes because they have yet to be proven
helpful...but as i said.....HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL!!

--
Joan E. Blessington Snyder       50/11
http://www.pwnkle.com/jes/jes_web/index.htm