Forwarded message from CAMR :
From: "Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research"
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 13 Jan 2003 14:57:09 -0500
Subject: Attend a Press Conference and Write Your Senators

Urgent!  Action Alert

ATTEND A PRESS CONFERENCE
IN SUPPORT OF
Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer (SCNT)
WASHINGTON, DC
Noon, Wednesday, January 15th

The Senate is Planning to Introduce the
Human Cloning Ban and Stem Cell Research Protection Act of 2003
Noon, Wednesday, January 15th,
in the Russell Caucus Room (325 Russell)
Call 202-224-3121 for Directions

WRITE YOUR SENATORS
Urge Them To Co-Sponsor the Bill

Show Your Support by Attending the Press Conference
and Sending Letters to Your Senators

Wednesday, January 15th, Senators Orrin Hatch (R-UT), Dianne Feinstein
(D-CA), Arlen Specter (R-PA), Ted Kennedy (D-MA), and Tom Harkin (D-IA)
will be introducing the Human Cloning Ban and Stem Cell Research
Protection Act of 2003.

The bill would criminalize reproductive cloning; a technique we all agree
is unsafe and unethical.  Given the scientific potential of somatic cell
nuclear transfer (SCNT, also known as therapeutic cloning) and
regenerative medicine, however, we strongly support the bill’s effort to
allow for therapeutic cloning, which has the potential to treat
life-threatening diseases, including spinal cord injury, Parkinson’s
disease, Alzheimer’s disease, ALS, heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.
The bill ensures rigorous oversight of the research conducted, including
review by an ethics board and protections for research participants, and
imposes large financial penalties for violations.

If you are unable to attend the press conference, please take a minute to
write your Senators and ask them to co-sponsor the Human Cloning Ban and
Stem Cell Research Protection Act of 2003.  Go to www.camradvocacy.org,
and follow the steps to Contact Congress.
Make your support of SCNT known!!!!!