--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research"
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 14 Jan 2003 12:40:32 -0500
Subject: Press Conference Postponed.
Urgent!!!!

THE PRESS CONFERENCE HAS BEEN POSTPONED
Due to Scheduling Conflicts in the Senate,
the Press Conference to Introduce the
Human Cloning Ban and Stem Cell Research Protection Act of 2003 Has Been
Postponed

We Will Alert You When We Learn More
IN THE MEANTIME – WRITE YOUR SENATORS
Urge Them To Co-Sponsor the Bill

As you know, the introduction of the Human Cloning Ban and Stem Cell
Research Protection Act of 2003 will be an important opportunity for us
to galvanize support for the research.  We hope you are able to join us
when Senators Orrin Hatch (R-UT), Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Arlen Specter
(R-PA), Ted Kennedy (D-MA), and Tom Harkin (D-IA) introduce the
legislation.

The bill would criminalize reproductive cloning; a technique we all agree
is unsafe and unethical.  Given the scientific potential of somatic cell
nuclear transfer (SCNT, also known as therapeutic cloning) and
regenerative medicine, however, we strongly support the bill’s effort to
allow for therapeutic cloning, which has the potential to treat
life-threatening diseases, including spinal cord injury, Parkinson’s
disease, Alzheimer’s disease, ALS, heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.
The bill ensures rigorous oversight of the research conducted, including
review by an ethics board and protections for research participants, and
imposes large financial penalties for violations.

Please take this opportunity to write your Senators and ask them to
co-sponsor the Human Cloning Ban and Stem Cell Research Protection Act of
2003.  Go to www.camradvocacy.org, and follow the steps to Contact
Congress.

We apologize for any inconvenience.  Thank you for your understanding.

Make your support of SCNT known!!!!!