In Tennessee, the CNA position, which is the person who does all of the
direct patient care in nursing homes, is a minimum wage job. In the nursing
home where my mom now resides, there is one LPN for each wing of the
facility to do meds and usually an RN in th building in the daytime. My
Mom's facility is a small place with only two wings. While things are not
perfect, I have to say that the staff has been on top of her changing
needs. As an RN, I wouldn't have a nursing home job. The staff there are
overworked, underpaid and often under appreciated. I have an excellent
relationship with the administrator of the facility. They are constantly
hiring and training and hiring and training. The folks who do the best work
are often the folks who have aspirations of doing more than minimum wage
work and eventually move on. Others are worn down by difficult working
situations.

Prior to being in a nursing home, my mother was in a wonderful assisted
living facility. There, she had her own furniture, meals in a lovely dining
room, the help she needed, and activities and outings planned constantly.
On admission, I commented to the administrator that it might take a little
time to adjust to their schedule and he said, "Oh no, it might take us
little while to adjust to hers."  I was impressed as that's how it was.

There are good nursing facilities and poor ones, check them out, be present
frequently if you have a loved one in one and remember that you can solve
more problems with honey than vinegar. You can always pull out the vinegar
later.

Susan cocg Elizabeth