I have read all the emails regarding PD patients in nursing homes and agree
with all of you.  My mom was diagnosed about 10 years ago with PD.  She has
been fine up until my dad passed away in December 2001.  She is 77 years old
and is currently living in a nursing home/rehabilitation center.  It all
started when she fell one night trying to get out of bed, she was taken to
the hospital and hasn't recovered since.  That was about 5 months ago.  She
is mentally alert, the only problem she has (the one keeping her in the
home) is that she can't walk.  The muscles in her ankles tightened up from
the PD so she is confined to a wheelchair.

I totally agree with Carole Menser as I've experienced the same issues with
my mom's facility.  I've had many fights with CNAs who seem bothered by the
fact they have to keep taking my mom to the bathroom.  I almost took one of
them outside and whooped her ass when she "sucked her teeth" at me.  My mom
has pushed the buzzer for the nurse and it's taken someone up to 20 minutes
to come check on her.  Usually when I'm visiting her, I take her to the
bathroom myself because it's just easier than waiting for someone.  The hard
part is she lives in MA and I live in VA.  My brother lives in MA and visits
her everyday but can't take care her full time.  I've thought of moving back
home to care for her but I can't do it myself.

If we can't trust nursing homes to care for PD patients, what can we do?  I
would love for my mom to be at home with a 24 hour nurse but isn't that
expensive?

Kim DaRosa
Investor Relations &
Marketing Assistant