All of this discussion about nursing homes has occurred on this list before.
The reality is, as long as workers are paid a minimum wage and nursing home
owners can maintain low patient to staff ratios without consequence, the
most vulnerable among us are going to die miserably.

As an RN, I know about the degree of difficulty involved in caring for those
who need 'complete care' - that is bathing, toileting, positioning in bed
and tranferring.  I would wager that few on this list have had to work as
hard as the CNAs who work against incredible odds to complete the their
daily tasks - at a minimum wage.  It is no mystery to me that the turnover
rate in such jobs is extremely high.

There are alternatives.  Here in Michigan we have Adult Day Services.  Such
services are not licensed in this State, but are licensed elsewhere.  Adult
Day Services allows caregivers time off while clients are afforded all sorts
of activities, meals and the opportunity for socialization.  Folks can stay
in such facilities for 12 hours or 1 hour.  My daughter runs an Adult Day
Service  (I am the intake RN there).  We offer showering and will even wash
and dry the clothes the client came in with (clients bring in fresh clothes
for their showers).

If you are interested in more information about Adult Day Services, feel
free to contact the Adult Day Service Association in your state.  There may
even be grants available through your state's Parkinson's foundation  to
help defray the cost of services.

Incidentally, it would behoove all spouses to visit a disability lawyer so
that a trust can be established so that the cost of medical care will not
impoverish the caregiver spouse.  An advanced directive should also be drawn
up so that the end-of-life wishes of the PD victim will be written in stone
when hospitalization occurs.  My husband has an advanced directive (I'm his
DPOA) that demands that everything be done *unless* he sustains terminal
brain damage.  That advanced directive came in real handy when he recently
underwent quintuple bypass surgery - the surgeon was shocked that I so
easily made a decision that the surgery should be done despite my husband's
advanced PD.  It was his request that everything be done to sustain his
ife  - and I had the papers to prove it.
---------
God bless
Mary Ann (CG Jamie 63/23)