Pardon me, but my lovely wife of 24 years has worked as a licensed social
worker in the nursing home environment for over 15 years.  So I would like
to say one or two words on the subject.

1.  Nursing-homes are just like our homes, we all live on a budget.  Yes it
would be nice to have marble floors and vaulted ceilings.  With the best
staffing money could buy.  But the reality is that most nursing homes must
subsist on the pittance received from Medicaid for the vast majority of
their residents.

2.  How many of you that have complaints have ever attended a care plan
meeting of your loved ones? My wife, the social worker, takes great pride in
her planning and notification of a patient's care plan meetings.  And the
reality is nine out of 10 times the family is in no show.

3.  How many of you have volunteered time and energy to be in nursing home
ombudsman?

I'll leave that that with the understanding that my wife takes pride in her
work and truly cares for those whose families who rarely if ever comes to
visit them.  But shame on you that would paint the nursing-home industry
with a wide brush of your discontent.  Just as we must be advocates for our
own personal struggles with this demon we call Parkinson's disease.  So must
you be the advocate for your loved ones whom you have institutionalized.

Sincerely,

Terry Bowers
-- As a young-onset patient of Parkinson's Disease,
a progressive, degenerative, as yet incurable
neurological disorder, Terry has become a tireless
Advocate, speaking and writing on behalf of
Parkinson's patients and their families and caregivers.

To invite Terry to come and speak to your group,
club or organization contact him at
[log in to unmask] or call him at 254-747-0856.
Topics include Parkinson's Awareness,
Activism and Self-Determination, Bioethics, and
Stem Cells and Their Sources.

"A cure by 2005"
Texas Parkinsonian Advocate