Hi, The situation ii New Zealand  is somewhat similar  the Government
expects you to pay . if you have any money  they will take a lien on the
family home. To get over this most people form a trust and transfer all
their assets to the trust  so that you personally do not own anything .In my
own case my trust  owns the  house and all my investments  I am the sole
trustee so that I still control everything.. If I have to go into a resthome
at some later date  the government cannot touch any of my assets  I am sure
this situation would apply in other countries