I'm in print about every two weeks in The Californian, a division of The
North County Times.  This was dated 1-17-03 and title is

I'm only posting it in case anyone wants to adapt or use any of my comments
or arguments in their own letters.  Rayilyn

THERAPEUTIC CLONING COULD HELP SUFFERERS

Staff Writer Bradley J. Fikes' two informative articles about the
complexities and ethics of reproductive and therapeutic cloning (January 13,
2003) should be required reading for anyone eager to join the Christian
Coalition's "Year of the Unborn" attempt to not only abolish abortion, but to
ban both reproductive and therapeutic cloning, all separate issues.

It should be noted that there is no movement to abolish in vitro
fertilization which routinely has involved the production and destruction or
demise of thousands of embryos in order to produce a born child or in some
cases litters.  It would be inconsistent to support this practice and at the
same time oppose any kind of cloning.

Therapeutic cloning is too complex to come in time to save me or others who
suffer daily from chronic incurable diseases, but the advancement of medical
research would give us some hope to carry on.

As you try to determine when an individual human life actually begins,
whether to ban all cloning or place a four year moratorium on the issue of
therapeutic cloning, remember 3,000 people are dying every day of diseases
that might be cured by such research.  They don't have four more years.

So please, keep us living, suffering  people in mind.  Who knows, someday
you, your children or grandchildren might become one of us.