I've just joined this list. The discussion of nursing homes has been very useful, as this is the point we're at with my mother. My dad was my mom's caregiver, but his cancer has weakened him to the point where they had to hire a caregiving service. Now their retirement home says they'll have to move in the near future, as my mom's condition is below what they're allowed to handle. We're looking at places down near them (San Diego) and up in my area (San Francisco Bay Area) and also considering some kind of home care. Some questions I have:

One of my dad's concerns with home care is isolation. In their retirement home they have a community, but if they moved to an apartment they wouldn't see anyone, especially if they moved near me where they don't know anyone. And I work full time. Are there networks or community resources that could address this problem?

My brother and I have been encouraging my mom to consider Deep Brain Stimulation. It seems like it would be a way for her to keep her independence, but I hesitate to pressure her when I don't know the down side to this procedure. Are there negatives? Why isn't everyone with PD getting this?

Does anyone know the best Parkinson's doctors or clinics in the SF Bay Area?

Many thanks, and best wishes for all of you.

Kate