saying I'd like to find the person who started that idea
> that *God gives you no more than you can handle*

In our Catholic Parish, one of the music ministers (a  faithfilled,
beautiful young woman with the voice of an angel) has been afflicted with
recurring cancer.  She shared with a mutual friend that among her most hated
comments about her sickness has been the one discussed here.  She also hates
'hang in there' and 'God must love you very much to afflict you with so much
suffering.'

The reality is that we are created with feet of clay and the spirit of God.
Our feet of clay are finite and flawed.  All of us on this list will die
within the next hundred years - and we all we be angry that we have been
afflicted.  It is stated in Scripture that God takes in no joy in the
suffering of His creation.  The difference between those with faith and
those with none is the acceptance of that belief and the realization that,
in the midst of suffering God is always present with us.
God bless you all
Mary Ann (CG Jamie 63/23)