Rayilyn.....
I am a PWP.....have been for 20 plus years.  I have also been the
caregiver....and will probably wear both hats again.

As far as costs for a nursing home.....it is expensive.  My mother received
her social security as well as black lung benefits for widow.........we sold
her home and most of her furnishings.  She was private pay for her 3 1/2
years in the nursing home....and it cost "her" about $3800 to 4400 per
month.....about 1/3 of which was her income from ss/black lung.   However,
she had no car, insurance, housing, food costs etc.  My sister and I covered
her clothing and incidental needs.  Nursing home costs vary considerably from
state to state......in MN the top fee was as I recall $139/day.....in IN it
was closer to $190 (wonder where your tax dollars go??).

Independent living is wonderful if you do not have dementia.