Coalition for Advancement of Medical Research Supports Bush Call to Ban
Reproductive Cloning But Opposes Ban on Therapeutic Cloning

U.S.Newswire, 1/28/2003 21:59

Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research

WASHINGTON, Jan. 28 /U.S. Newswire/ -- In the President's State of the
Union speech this evening, he called for a ban on all forms of human
cloning, which would include both reproductive (which seeks to create
babies), and therapeutic cloning, also called somatic cell nuclear
transfer, (which seeks to produce stem cells to cure disease). The
Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research (CAMR) -- comprised of
the nation's leading patient groups, universities, and scientific
societies -- supports the President's call to ban reproductive cloning
but opposes any efforts to ban therapeutic cloning.

''CAMR has repeatedly called on Congress to act quickly to pass a ban on
human reproductive cloning and the majority of Americans also support
this view. However, a ban on therapeutic cloning would not only dash the
hopes of millions of Americans suffering from Parkinson's, diabetes,
ALS, spinal cord injuries, cancer, and other insidious diseases, it does
not represent the opinion of the majority of the American people, the
National Academy of Sciences, and the nation's leading scientists and
Nobel laureates'' said Michael Manganiello, president of CAMR.

''As a police officer, I worked to uphold the law and ensure that the
rights of my fellow citizens were protected. I never thought I would
someday have to fight for my own right to a cure,'' said Kris Gulden,
who will testify tomorrow before the Subcommittee on Science, Technology
and Space, U.S. Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee.
Ms. Gulden was spinal cord injured in 1998 from a biking accident and is
paralyzed from the chest down. ''Allowing research using therapeutic
cloning to move forward is critically important to me and others like
me. It's our right to have access to potentially life-saving treatments
and I hope the U.S. Congress will enact laws to protect these rights and
protect our hope,'' she added.

Somatic cell nuclear transfer is about saving and improving lives. It is
fundamentally different from human reproductive cloning; it produces
stem cells, not babies. In somatic cell nuclear transfer, the nucleus of
a donor's unfertilized egg is removed and replaced with the nucleus of a
patient's own cells, like a skin, heart, or nerve cell. These types of
cells are called somatic cells. The goal is to develop stem cells that
will not be rejected or destroyed by the patient's immune system. No
sperm is used in this procedure. The cells are not transplanted into a
womb. The unfertilized egg cells are stored in a petri dish to become a
source of stem cells that can be used to treat life-threatening medical
conditions. Somatic cell nuclear transfer aims to treat or cure patients
by creating tailor-made, genetically identical cells that their bodies
won't reject. In other words, somatic cell nuclear transfer could allow
patients with diseases and conditions like cancer, diabetes, ALS,
Parkinson's, spinal cord injuries and many more to be cured using their
own DNA.

The Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research (CAMR), is
comprised of nationally-recognized patient organizations, universities,
scientific societies, foundations, and individuals with life-threatening
illnesses and disorders, advocating for the advancement of breakthrough
research and technologies in regenerative medicine -- including stem
cell research and somatic cell nuclear transfer -- in order to cure
disease and alleviate suffering. For more information on CAMR, visit the
website: http://www.camradvocacy.org.

---