>. It has more to do with
> the amount of staff, its rapid turnover, their pay and the training
> required, but if they don't do the job that they
> were hired to do and do not like what they do, then they should find
> another occupation.

.......which is why there is such a high turnover rate.  As a home health
care nurse (I also work part-time in a hospital setting - which I much
prefer), I have visited nursing homes where the staff does everything from
washing the floors to preparing the meals while trying to care for patients
as well.  These people are as devoted as you'll find anywhere - however, the
degree of difficulty involved in their jobs is so high that it isn't
surprising that personnel leave.  No one, even the most committed, can
tolerate for long the dismal working conditions and the back breaking job
involved with lifting patients, turning them in bed and giving them complete
care.

We need to pay these folks more - we need to compensate them and commend
them for their devotion.  Until we start doing that, expect to continue to
see poor conditions in nursing homes.

In addition to the work that this list does in encouraging the government to
fund research, we should also be prodding the government to improve nursing
home care.
God bless
Mary Ann Ryan (CG Jamie 63/23)