I'd like to share two experiences from my life that, IMHOP, could be
useful models for our current political discussion.

1.  Some time ago, I had the opportunity to attend a meeting of Unitarian
Universalists.  During the meeting, several people got up to speak about
issues they considered important.  There was a wide spectrum of opinions,
but a consistant respect for each speaker.  That was the first time in my
life I was shown how to take a position on a topic without disparaging
people with different views.

2.  I've had the privilege of being in a twelve-step group for a number of
years.  One of the important Traditions of my group was to keep our focus
on our primary purpose for being there and not get distracted by outside
issues.  That principle suggests to me that we need to protect our forum
from being diluted by outside issues - however important they may be.
Political statements, for example, might be relevent - but only to the
extent they relate to dealing with Parkinson's.

Lets try to stay focused.  "If you ride off in all directions, you'll

never get too far down the road."