A bill authorizing stem cell, embryonic and fetal tissue reserach,
including SCNT  has been introduced in the New York State Assembly by
Assembyman Stringer.
The bill number is A01819, and it is similar to recently passed
legislation in California and pending legislation in New Jersey. Other
states are taking similar initiatives to encourage this type of research,
in the absense of  positive stem cell legislation at the federal level.
The NYS bill ,

"Authorizes the conduct of stem cell, embryonic, and fetal tissue
research;
requires the provision of information regarding embryos in connection
with
fertility treatment and informed consent for donation of embryos for
research;
prohibits the sale of embryonic or cadaveric fetal tissue for valuable

consideration; authorizes the use of state funds for such research;
provides for
a review board to make policies and oversee such state-funded research;

prohibits the cloning of human beings.  "

The full text is available at:
http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A01819&sh=t

and a summary is at:
http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A01819

I am trying to gather  more information about the bill,  and have asked
PAN to advise  how  New Yorkers can best advocate for its passage into
law.
If you are from New York State, or have family living in NYS and can help
out in any way,  please send me your name, location and email address

REPLY  OFF-LIST  to : [log in to unmask]

Thanks,
Linda Herman,
Buffalo, NY
Upstate New York Coordinator