> The word "Cloning" has somehow gained a taboo now adays.  The minute you
say
> the word "cloning" people think of cloning an individual.  That is
> absolutely wrong.  Cloning has been around for almost half a century in
the
> tissue culture world.  "

Raj, I've been rather concerned about how some PD folks on this list  view
cloning as a panacea.  In  fact, the technology is far from perfected and
could lead to disastrous consequences if embraced without extensive (I'm
talking in years here) research.

I remember when adrenal tissue was implanted in the brains of PD victims, as
well as pig cells, in order to re-establish working dopamine producing
tissue.  The results were devastating.  The operations occurred in Europe
where there is less than stringent over-site of new technology.

There hasn't been great success with stem cell transplants in PD patients
either - the research was stopped in the US because of the overwhelming
dyskinesia that occurred in patients  as a consequence of the surgery.
Nonetheless, many on this list believe that cloning will be 'the cure.'  The
fact that cloned animals are seriously flawed and that there is no guarantee
of the genetic stability of cloned cells or what they could potentially
produce down the road in patients who receive them doesn't seem to enter the
discussion.

PD treatment with cloned cells will most probably occur over-seas within a
short period of time.  There will be individuals with money who will avail
themselves of that treatment, as PD folks  did with adrenal and pig cell
transplants before them.  All scientists in PD research are probably already
watching the process that will lead to cloned cell therapeutic transplants.
Let us watch as well and remember that some treatments are far, far worse
than the disease.
God bless
Mary Ann (CG Jamie 63/23)