Hi Carol,
You have my sympathy.  I had to call in Adult Protective Services when my
wife became so verbally abusive that I felt I was being pushed to suicide.
She tried to make me sign over our assets (the house & stocks) and wanted me
to "get out" or "die!"  She refused to take me to the doctor or pick up my
medicines.  (She works in a pharmacy.)  I feebily endured countless paranoid
rages, accusing me of being the one who is abusive.  Eventually, I didn't
even have the energy to answer.  Sometimes I just lay in my recliner, wept,
and fought to maintain my sanity. She polarized our children making pizza,
movies, clothes, haircuts,and video games contingent upon being
disrespectful and abusive to me.  All of a sudden there was abuse and
neglect for being on "his side." After sixteen years of marriage,I didn't
know there were sides.  Fortunately,two of my five children continued to be
respectful and helpful despite the intense social pressure. Social Services
insisted that I be allowed to hire an aide to be with me two hours a day
five days a week.  Since the aide has come I have recovered my spirits and
confidence.

It is very hard to maintain ones dignity in such a situation, but
sometimes in such a
situation all you are left with is your dignity.  Above all you must not let
yourself be mannipulated into answering verbal abuse with verbal abuse in
kind.  This will be only used against you to justify further abuse.
Remember it is useless and even dangerous to argue with a crazy person.
Keep your dignity and your standards of human decency.  I wish you all the
best, and keep your sanity.  Reaching out can restore hope and sanity.
David