Nancy Reagan Backs Cloning for Research

Schoolchildren sing "Happy Birthday" at an event celebrating the 92nd
birthday of former president Ronald Reagan, who suffers from
Alzheimer's disease. Former first lady Nancy Reagan used the occasion
to express her support for cloning for the purposes of medical
research. (Nick Ut -- AP)

Friday, February 7, 2003; Page A10

In her strongest and clearest statement to date, Nancy Reagan has
announced in a letter to Sen. Orrin G. Hatch (R- Utah) that she
supports cloning for the purposes of medical research, a
controversial new field of science involving destruction of days-old
embryos.

The former first lady used the 92nd birthday of her husband, Ronald
Reagan, yesterday to endorse legislation sponsored by Hatch and
others that prohibits cloning for the purpose of creating a person
but permits the use of nuclear transfer technology, described by
supporters as "therapeutic cloning."

Many scientists believe embryonic stem cells offer the best hope for
treating or curing a range of illnesses including spinal injuries,
Alzheimer's disease and juvenile diabetes. Some religious activists
and abortion opponents say the work is immoral because it involves
the destruction of an embryo.

In the letter dated Jan. 29 and made public by Hatch this week,
Reagan describes the former president's long struggle with
Alzheimer's disease. "Because of this, I am determined to do what I
can to save other families from this pain," she wrote.

Until now, she has been low-key in her support of stem cell research
and had remained silent on the cloning research legislation that the
Bush White House vehemently opposes. The letter provides a boost for
supporters of therapeutic cloning who say they plan to use it to
lobby wavering lawmakers.

In the one-page note, Reagan hinted at the reason for her bolder
stand.

"Orrin, there are so many diseases that can be cured, or at least
helped, that we can't turn our back on this," she wrote. "We've lost
so much time already. I can't bear to lose any more."

-- Ceci Connolly

SOURCE: The Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38403-2003Feb6.html

_____Full Coverage_____

• Stem Cell Research
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/politics/specials/stemcells/

• Cloning
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-
dyn/nation/specials/science/cloning/index.html

* * *