KOMO TV

State Senate To Tackle Human Cloning Issue

February 19, 2003
By Brian Calvert

OLYMPIA - State Senators are getting ready to take an official stance
on whether or not human cloning should be allowed in Washington.

But isn't human cloning already banned at the federal level?

"No it is not," says state Senator Rose Franklin. "Congress could not
get any bills through."

So, Senator Rose Franklin has drafted Senate Bill 5571, which would
ban human cloning.

Republican Luke Esser is on board.

"I don't think our society is ready either scientifically, morally,
ethically in any sense to clone human beings.

Democrat Jeanne Kohl-Welles is also for the measure.

"There are too many unanswered questions," she said.

But what about the future? If those questions are answered, could you
support this in the future?

"I don't know," she said. "At this time, I just think there's too
many obvious concerns."

If passed by the full legislature, cloning would be banned, but the
law would not impact stem cell research.

For More Information:

Senate Bill 5571 -- http://www.leg.wa.gov/

SOURCE: KOMO TV
http://www.komotv.com/stories/23163.htm