Don I am sorry to learn of your friend's diagnosis of ALS. My uncle died
of this within a year once he was dx. His brother had MS as well as his
own daughter has MS. I can understand why you feel fortunate to have PD
and not ALS. Many of my online friends do have PD, and I know their
suffering. What ever the differences are between these  neurological
diseases, when the cure or prevention for one is isolated, it may unlock
the cure for the others, including Parkinson's.

Audrey
Friend of pwp John