Dear Don and Vivian,

Was it only recently that you learned how serious the Lou Gehrig's disease was?  I am appalled by the finality with which these medical decisions
are made.  You might share with us more about how the two of you are experiencing all of this.

I lost a loved one years ago.  I was utterly wiped out by the grief.  I remember at the time that a young man, who was very consoling, mentioned
to me and everyone else that we should do our best to see that others do not suffer the same fate in the future.  And now I am trying to
communicate to everyone in this dicussion group the same thing.

We don't know how long it will take for the scientific discovery of a cure for Parkinson's.  But it will happen, and even if it occurs too late
for many of those who are currently ill, we want people in the future not to be afflicted with PD.  (Which is not to deny that having PD can lead
to deep insights and wisdom, including, as you say, thankfulness that we are alive.)  And stem cell research may find a cure for Lou Gehrig's
disease also.

So even though you are going through so much, Don and Vivian, I ask that you (and everyone else in this discussion group)  help us advocate
research that may find a cure.  I don't mean this in an unthoughtful way -- one of the redeeming features of our illnesses is that we know
something about what being sick and dying is like, and we can testify to the urgency of the need for support, including research to make more
bearable or cure illnesses like Parkinson's

To help us put a human face on the need for research, please visit the websites:  www.stemcellaction.org
or www.sabr.us/portraits-nav.htm
These websites explain how you can email us a description and photograph so that we can post your "portrait" on the Internet.  You can also
contact me directly if you wish, by sending me an email message.

Best wishes, and please keep contributing to this discussion group.

Raymond Barglow, Ph.D.