Dear Parkinson list participants,

This first message, introducing myself, is perhaps longer than usual  --
please bear with me.

I am a psychologist and a volunteer for a new organization that is
working on a project called "Portraits of Hope." Our aim is to put a
human face on the controversy surrounding stem cell research, including
therapeutic cloning research that could possibly cure Parkinson's.

 We are doing that by collecting and publishing on the Internet
"portraits," each of which features an individual person who has an
illness that stem cell research might help to cure. We will also send
these "portraits of hope" to federal and state legislators -- thereby
bringing home the personal and urgent character of our request for
government support for this research.

We need your help. Do you or someone you know have an illness that
embryonic stem cell research might help cure, such as Parkinson’s,
Alzheimer’s, juvenile diabetes, ALS, MS, or spinal cord injury? If you
send us, via email, a photograph and a brief description (100-1000
words) of the person who is ill, we will post it on our websites:

www.sabr.us (Seniors Allied for Biomedical Research) and
www.stemcallaction.org (Stem Cell Action Network -- this site may be
temporarily out of service)

Here are a few suggestions about composing a portrait: In your text,
which we will post on the web, please include the person's age and
interests, the town or city where the person lives, how his or her life
has been affected by the illness, and the ways in which family and
friends are giving their support. Please include the person's zip code
-- that will enable us to locate the state and federal congressional
representatives to whom we will send the portrait.

 Photographs provide a special human touch to our message. If you have
available a photo of the person who is ill, please include that in the
e-mail you send us.   Family members and/or friends may appear in the
photo, if you wish. (You may scan a regular photo into a computer or go
to a local copy shop and they will put the photo into digital form and
email it to us.)

To view examples of the portraits, please visit our web page: "Portraits
of Hope", at www.sabr.us/portraits-nav.htm

If you have any questions about preparing a portrait, please reply to
this email message or call me on the telephone.

Thanks,

Raymond Barglow, Ph.D.
ph. (510) 486-1050