On 23 Feb 2003 at 7:29, Linda J Herman wrote:

> It's now official - as of April 1, 2003 Medicare will cover DBS
> surgery in all 50 states in the U.S. Previously coverage was decided
> by the local Medicare carriers, and only about half of the states'
> carriers would cover it. Nationwide coverage happened because one
> individual - Barry Green - a PWP from Texas filed a request for a
> national coverage decision in October 2001 and set the lengthy
> decision process in motion. CONGRATULATIONS BARRY! Linda Herman

Hi Linda,

Linda, Thankyou for the "NEWS"!  It's long overdue...

Barry Green, Perry Cohen, and anyone else who worked to achieve
this....  The Parkinson's community world wide benefits from your
efforts.  Thank you very much!

(unfortunately, this surgery is on hold in some locales in Canada
due to a lack of funding... murray)

Here is a wee bit of the timeline from the Parkinsn Archive....

First info was a "heads-up" from our friend in Germany...

July 10, 1995
I have following information on this subject. On a recent PD seminar
we had Dr. Moringlane, university hospital, Homburg/Saar (FRG) with
us who explained the latest developments here in
Germany on operations of the brain, so called Thalamus-stimulation.
In a Europe-wide survey of 280 patients with implanted electronic
devices in 88 % of all cases the tremor was considerably reduced.
Impressive results have been confirmed by a patient on the seminar
who enjoys a significant improvement in his life quality due to this
operation. The cost for the operation is about US$ 10,000. The
hospital in Homburg seems to be leading in Germany in this field, but
faces financing problems for this operation, since this surgery is
not yet reimbursed by the health insurances.

Recent (English) literature on this subject: 1) Siegfried, J. and
Lippitz, B. "Bilateral chronic electrostimulation of
ventroposterolateral pallidum : A new therapeutic approach for
alleviating all parkinsonian symptoms." Neurosurgery 35, 6: 1123 -
1130, 1994.
2) Benabid, A. L., Pollak, P. Seigneuret, E., Hoffmann, D., Gay, E.,
Perret, J.
"Chronic VIM thalamic stimulation in Parkinson's disease, essential
tremor and extrapyramidal dysdinesias. Acta Neurochirurgica 58: 39 -
44, 1993.

Further information can be obtained from the company producing the
electronic devices:
Medtronic GmbH
Deutschland
Abtlg. Neuromodulation
Am Seestern 24
40547 Duesseldorf
Germany
Fax: 0049 2111 5293 199
Don't hesitate to ask for information (in English) on this subject.
Anyway I cannot believe that this treatment should be new in the US.
Hope that this information is useful for some people.
Dietmar Wessel

August 16, 1995
--- New Web Page Announcement ---
Medtronic, Inc. has opened a home page at
http://www.medtronic.com/
Thalamic Stimulation for the suppression of disabling tremor due to
Essential Tremor and Parkinson's Disease is highlighted.

August 4, 1997
The Food and Drug Administration has approved a brain
implant device to help control tremors in people with essential
tremor or Parkinson's disease.
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/NEW00580.html

February 14, 2003
It's now official - as of April 1, 2003 Medicare will cover DBS
surgery in all 50 states in the U.S. Previously coverage was decided
by the local Medicare carriers, and only about half of the states'
carriers would cover it. Nationwide coverage happened because one
individual - Barry Green - a PWP from Texas filed a request for a
national coverage decision in October 2001 and set the lengthy
decision process in motion. CONGRATULATIONS BARRY! Linda Herman

Read the TEXT
http://www.grassrootsconnection.com/issuedbs.htm
http://www.cms.gov/manuals/pm_trans/AB03023.pdf

Read the Background