"Don't Ban Therapeutic Cloning", Canadian Bio-ethicists Urge
Parliament
By Drog, Section News
Posted on Mon Feb 24th, 2003 at 09:48:49 AM EST

Canada NewWire reports that several of Canada's top bio-ethicists
have united to urge Canada's Parliament to regulate "therapeutic"
cloning, but not to prohibit it. They have submitted an opinion
editorial entitled "Not all cloning is alike--MPs must not let
outrageous claims of Raelians drive national policy development" that
has been published in The Hill Times, Canada's parliamentary weekly
newspaper. Bill C-13, which is in the final debate stages,
calls for a ban on human somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT),
http://www.stanford.edu/~eclipse9/sts129/cloning/methods.html#scnt
commonly known as therapeutic cloning. SCNT involves removing the
nucleus of an unfertilized egg cell, replacing it with the material
from the nucleus of a "somatic cell" (a skin, heart, or nerve cell,
for example), and stimulating this cell to begin dividing. Once the
cell begins dividing, stem cells can be extracted 5-6 days later and
used for research.

"We feel that Parliamentarians are about to pass an unwarranted
statutory criminal ban on a potentially useful procedure," says
Timothy Caulfield, Canada Research Chair in Health Law and Policy,
University of Alberta.

"Policy makers must be careful not to let outrageous, unsubstantiated
claims drive national policy development," says Peter A. Singer,
Professor of Medicine and Director, University of Toronto Joint
Centre for Bioethics.

"We would be better served to consider regulations that allows for
promising research to proceed, so that we won't close the door to
potential medical advances and potential life-saving cures for many
serious diseases in our society, such as juvenile (type 1) diabetes,"
says Ron Forbes, President and CEO of the Juvenile Diabetes Research
Foundation (JDRF).

SOURCE: Sci-Fi Today
http://www.scifitoday.com/story/2003/2/24/94849/8236

* * *