I have read the attachment to my original msg, as well as the web page you
cited, which gives the bill's text.  Although it seems clear to me that the
bill does not prohibit therapeutic cloning, I'm not too comfortable that it
can be interpretted otherwise by others.  I'll try to clarify my position as
follows:

Sec 301 defines "human cloning" as asexual reproduction involving the
transfer of nuclear material.....'so as to produce a living organism..' which
evidently means embryo.  This definition, then, does not address therapeutic
cloning.

Sec 301 defines "asexual reproduction" by relating it to oocyte and sperm
reproduction, which clearly results in an embryo.  Again, therapeutic cloning
is not addressed.

Sec 302 (b) is quoted: "IMPORTATION- It shall be unlawful for any person or
entity, public or private, knowingly to import for any purpose an embryo
produced by human cloning or any product derived from such embryo."

Sec 302 (d) is quoted: "(d) SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH- Nothing in this section
restricts areas of scientific research not specifically prohibited by this
section, including research in the use of nuclear transfer or other cloning
techniques to produce molecules, DNA, cells other than human embryos,
tissues, organs, plants, or animals other than humans."  This section clearly
permits all the listed products, except human embryos or product derived
therefrom.

Thus, it appears that H.R. 534 does not prohibit therapeutic cloning.

Please respond with a concurrence with, or a rebuttal to, my position per
this msg.   I do not wish to mislead anyone on this very important -- even
critical -- issue.

Thanks.

Stan Boswell
PSGSanta Maria (CA)

The following was extracted from the
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:H.R.534

1) HUMAN CLONING- The term `human cloning' means human asexual reproduction,
accomplished by introducing nuclear material from one or more human somatic
cells into a fertilized or unfertilized oocyte whose nuclear material has
been removed or inactivated so as to produce a living organism (at any stage
of development) that is genetically virtually identical to an existing or
previously existing human organism.`(2) ASEXUAL REPRODUCTION- The term
`asexual reproduction' means reproduction not initiated by the union of
oocyte and sperm.`(3) SOMATIC CELL- The term `somatic cell' means a diploid
cell (having a complete set of chromosomes) obtained or derived from a living
or deceased human body at any stage of development