Dear Stan,

I appreciate your care in scrutinizing the wording of HR 534.  To be
sure, the devil is in the details.  The measure has indeed been
misleadingly formulated to make it look utterly harmless.  But in fact
it bans SCNT research (so-called "therapeutic cloning") -- and its
backers acknowledge that.

I think that what confuses people is this clause (which you refer to
below) in the House Judiciary legislation:

"(d) SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH- Nothing in this section restricts areas of
scientific research not specifically prohibited by this section,
including research in the use of nuclear transfer or other cloning
techniques to produce molecules, DNA, cells other than human embryos,
tissues, organs, plants, or animals other than humans."

Notice the restiction on what the legislation permits: "other than human
embryos."  "Embryo" is interpreted broadly by the bill's proponents to
include any egg into which a full genetic complement has been placed.

Hence the legislation does indeed rule out SCNT (somatic cell nuclear
transfer, also known as "therapeutic cloning"), although one might not
think so, even upon a careful reading.  "Nuclear transfer," in the above
statement, refers to taking a cell nucleus and transferring it to
another cell, but NOT to a human egg cell.  An SCNT-produced zygote --
an entity on a laboratory Petri dish that is invisible to naked eye and
that is used to generate stem cells -- is the "human embryo" that these
legislators wish to "protect".   My guess is that they know very little
about the science, and imagine a baby somehow encapsulated in that
zygote that they will -- as self-appointed good Samaritans -- protect at
any cost.

It is noteworthy that thoughtful Christian fundamentalists, like Senator
Orrin Hatch of Utah, strongly support therapeutic cloning research.

Thanks again, Stan, for your careful attention to this matter.

Raymond Barglow