Thanks for sending us this information, Tom.

We want to hear the diversity of views on the subject of therapeutic
cloning research.

When "experts" disagree, it is difficult for lay persons to figure out
where the truth lies.  But we have got to try to separate fact from
fiction, and promising biomedical research paths from ones that will
turn out to be dead ends.

I appreciate the work that James Robl, whose research is described
below, is doing to advance the search for cures.  He has been a pioneer
in this domain.  I'm not sure that he is quoted correctly below,
however. In the past he has been a strong supporter of embryonic stem
cell research.

And in fact just about everyone who works in the domain of stem cell
research views so-called "therapeutic cloning" reasearch (technically
it's referred to as "somatic cell nuclear transfer" or SCNT) as an
ethical and promising path that is worth exploring.

Professor Catherine Verfaillie, for example, is famous for her research
using adult stem cells.  But she emphasizes that scientists need to
explore all promising paths, and that embryonic stem cell research is
certainly one of them.

Last year, 40 Nobel Laureates issued a statement of support for this
research -- they disagreee with the opinion expressed below that
therapeutic cloning "is a great idea that just won't work."  On the
contrary, even with government opposition to this research, it is
advancing, and we are beginning to see the enormous potential it holds
for a deeper understanding of the genetic origins and inceptions of
diseases processes.

James Robl may have changed his mind, but this is what he himself has
said in the past:

"Embryonic stem cells hold the promise of providing an unlimited supply
of cells that may be grown in the laboratory into virtually any type of
tissue for transplant use."

"[W]hen people make an argument for or against something the argument
should be founded in facts and should be objective ... So far the
arguments against cloning are ones that are more emotional -- not to say
those aren't real concerns."

You know, I wish that this domain of research -- which is our best hope
for developing cures for diseases such as Parkinson's, Alzheimer's,
juvenile diabetes, etc. -- weren't so darned complicated.  Just to
understand what "somatic cell nuclear transfer" is requires considerable
study.  I am a volunteer with an organization "Seniors Allied for
Biomedical Research" (http://www.sabr.us), and we are trying to make
available
some basic info. about stem cell research.  You might visit our website,
and click on "Stem Cell Research Sites" -- that will lead you to primers
on what this research is all about.

I've got another good idea.  Plese go to www.sabr.us and click on
"Portraits of Hope."  (Or go directly to:
http://www.sabr.us/portraits-nav.htm) If you haven't already sent us a
portrait (a brief bio of a person with an illness that stem cell
research might help to cure, plus a photograph), you're in luck.  There
is still time to do so!

Best wishes to all,

Raymond Barglow, Ph.D.