Dear Ray,

First of all, I appreciate your disappointment with Representative
Bono's vote.  There is so much misinformation about "therapeutic
cloning" research.  Scientists have a humane, ethical, and promising
path to take to develop cures.  But these politicians -- basing
themselves perhaps in misguided religious ideas -- stand in the way.

People like Senator Hatch and Nancy Reagan are devout Christians, and
their highest values lead them to support the research.  If only others
were equally aware of what is at stake here! We are fortunate here in
California (I live in the Bay Area) that our two U.S. Senators, Barbara
Boxer and Dianne Feinstein, both strongly support therapeutic cloning
research.

The very word "cloning" is confusing, and suggests to many people that
something bad is being proposed, like in a Frankstein movie.  But
actually, biologists use the word "cloning" to describe copying
processes that have nothig to do with making an identical copy of a
human being.

You're right to draw attention to the critical distinction between
reproductive cloning (to make a baby) and therapeutic cloning (to
develop a therapy for conditions like Parkinson's and many other
illnesses).  As you may know the technical term for therapeutic cloning
is "somatic cell nuclear transfer" (SCNT).

What is to be done?  That depends partly on the nature of Rep. Bono's
opposition to SCNT.  If the problem is only that she is misinformed
about the facts, then the task is to share correct information with
her.  If her opposition is based on a religious conviction that refuses
to look at the facts, then the problem is more serious, and you may have
to organize to replace her as your representative with someone else.

Maybe those of us here in California should organize a state-wide
conference, where we would all get together for a weekend of sharing,
education, and organizing. There are number of people here in the Bay
Area who are interested in advocating on behalf of stem cell research.
I'd be happy to host all or part of the conference at my home. And I'll
bet that others nearby would be happy to share that responsibility too.

Regarding Representative Bono, if you've got the energy and the time,
here are some steps you might take:

1. Contact everyone you know -- and also people you don't yet know
-- to discuss and figure out how to deal with Representative Bono's
opposition to this
life saving research.

I believe you live in the vicinity of Palm Springs, a hundred miles or
so East of Los Angeles.  Are there others in this voting district who
favor SCNT research and whom you might connect up with?  I have heard
that some great organizations, including Parkinson's and Alzheimer's
support groups, meet in Palm Springs. And isn't the Betty Ford Center
also located nearby?  Ex-president Gerald Ford has spoken out in favor
of therapeutic cloning, and I'll bet his wife agrees.

So you may be able to find strong local allies.  You might be able to
use the Internet to help find specific persons.  Or you might have to
visit places like the Betty Ford Center and local medical institutions
to gather allies in the health professions.  Can you discuss this with
Betty Ford herself?

Are there local Parkinson's support groups?  Alzheimer's support
groups?  Juvenile diabetes support groups?  These are great places to
find people who realize that this research might mean the difference of
life and death for millions of human beings.

2. Set up a telephone and email network to link your allies on this
issue, and perhaps organize a meeting so that people can get to know one
another better and can draw up a plan for approaching Mary Bono and her
office staff.  You may wish to meet face-to-face with the politicians
and present your case to them.

3. At the same time, you might organize a media campaign,
involving writing letters and articles for local newspapers, approaching
local television stations and asking them to publicize the issue, etc.

4. If Rep. Bono remains unswayed by the compelling case you make for
this research, then maybe you've got to mobilize a larger campaign to
educate her constituency.  If necesscary, find a candidate who is on the
correct side of this issue to run against Bono in the next election.

Remember that it's not just our loved ones or ourselves who are affected
by this issue. We want people who have PD in the future to benefit from
better remedies.  Our first line of support is and always will be our
love for one another.   But healing research is also a form that love
can take.

OK Ray, that's enough for now.  No ... one more thing.  Please send us a
"portrait" (brief description plus a photo or two) to be posted on the
Internet, as several other participants in this discussion group have
done.  You can find information about how to do this, and also examples
of portraits, at http://www.stemcellaction.org.

These portraits put a human face on the need for stem cell research.
They also value and honor a person who is loving and learning through
what they are experiencing.  We honor those who are ill themselves, and
also their caregivers, friends, and families.

Best wishes ... and glad to meet you.

Raymond Barglow, Ph.D.