In a message dated 2/21/2003 11:37:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,

Laura,

This is my first time replying on the list, but reading your e-mail prompted
me to correspond back to you. I was diagnosed at 48 years old am now 54 and
can understand your feelings. At the time I was diagnosed I had a 19 year old
daughter in her 2nd year of college a 15 year old in private school a young
and growing business and all of a sudden the diagnosis of PD was delivered to
me and I was devastated. I saw my whole world falling apart and as I read
information on the Internet it confirmed some of worst fears. As is true in
anything you read there is good and bad, happy and sad, disturbing and
helpful, truth and untruths, optimistic and pessimistic information to be
assimilated. I tend to take the upper road while still aware of the lower
road.
I then began to tell my family, my wife and kids were concerned, upset and
confused, but my mother was the toughest one as her first comment was "Why
couldn't it be me." That was tough, but she and my entire family are involved
in the APDA in an effort to find better drugs and eventually a cure

I then told some close friends watching the pity on their faces and then just
quit telling anybody crawling into an emotional black hole. Then one day I
decided I could not change I fact I had the disease and why waste time acting
like a recluse about my PD. Why not share with others that may be starting
down the same road I traveled a few years ago? I told people selectively,
began to get in contact with those new to the disease and have moved my life
forward. When I tell people I have PD and I see that "pity look" I tell them
"don't feel sorry for me, concerned is OK and in your prayers is wonderful,"
but never pity. Many people know little or nothing about the disease and each
time we tell someone the number of people with knowledge about PD just
expanded and will never be the same again.

You will get angry about having the disease and that's OK, but don't let PD
run your life learn to live and compensate with the disease staying active
with a positive attitude and that is tough sometimes. I have found (6) things
that help me get over these bumps (sometimes pot holes) in the road we call
life with PD, attitude, medication, exercise, good medical care, love from
family and friends and prayer.

Laura, it sounds like you husband is concerned cool guy. As a caregiver he
has a tough job but it is a great deal easier to carry the burden of PD with
a little help along the way. As your best friend. he will tend to see things
in a different light than you do and can help you travel down the road with
confidence.

Warm regards,

Leonard