Dear Laura,

I am 55 and was diagnosed with PD at age 51.  I left the practice of law
about a year before and joined the Peace Corps (a decades long dream).  I
looked foreward to my 2 years in the Peace Corps and then seeing the world
and having many adventures.  After one of my fellow volunteers noticed my
unnatural movements while jogging and another commented on my crooked smile,
I was diagnosed with PD.  I was in shock and numb.  I stayed numb for
several months.  I tried to finish my tour in the Peace Corps, but my heart
wasn't in it and I left early.

Since then I met and married a wonderful and beautiful lady who is a nurse.
I found that the support of a loved one is the most important medicine.  I
still feel cheated.  These were suppose to be the years of retirement and
adventure that I worked for over many years.  I find I'm happiest when I
keep myself occupied.  I'm taking oil painting and furniture and cabinet
making classes at the community college and have taken other courses since
leaving the Peace Corps.  I find that while I'm engaged in classes or
practicing those skills, I'm happiest.  (I had absolutely no previous
experience in art or cabinetry before PD).  So,  I suggest that you keep
yourself busy.  Maintain contact with your friends and family.

I've read messages on the utoronto website from people who have had PD for
25 years that are very articulate and tell me these people are still active
and sharp.

I certainly miss the old me, but I know I've got some more years ahead of me
that I can still enjoy doing things and learning.

I can't say that I'm optomistic about a cure in the next ten years, but who
knows?  By reading the messages on this website, I am aware that progress is
being made in increasing the knowledge database about the disease.  Even
when a new therapy doesn't work, it means one less failure out of the way.
Remember the story about Edison trying so many different materials for his
light bulb before he got the right one.

Les Combs
Las Vegas, NV