I normally object to using lists for political purposes, but I
think there are enough people on CASLL who might want to know
about this, and might write to Jean Chretien in support, to
justify this intrusion.

This just came over the Canadian Press wire:

> OTTAWA (CP) -- Canada will not participate in a war on Iraq
> that does not have the support of the UN Security Council,
> Prime Minister Jean Chretien announced Monday.

> "If military action proceeds without a new resolution of the
> security council, Canada will not participate," Chretien said
> to loud applause in the House of Commons. Chretien made the
> announcement after the United States, Britain and Spain
> decided to abandon their efforts to win United Nations
> backing for war.

> "We have always made clear that Canada will require the
> approval of the security council if we were to participate in
> a military campaign," Chretien said.

I do not expect it'll make much difference to Bush's policy re
Iraq, but it's encouraging to those of us who've been marching
and writing in Canada: I think perhaps we have made some tiny
difference.

If anyone wants to write Chretien supporting this decision, his
email is [log in to unmask] .

-- Russ
St. Thomas University
http://www.StThomasU.ca/~hunt/