Dear CASLLRs:

Now that it's officially spring, it's definitely time to sign up for the
20th Inkshed conference, held this year from May 8 to 11 in the rolling
countryside north of Toronto. The registration form is available online
through the conference website at
http://www.stthomasu.ca/inkshed/inkshed20. The full fee is only $75, or $35
for students and the un(der)employed.

To see where the conference will be held, go to
http://www.hockleyhighlands.com. Book your own accommodation soon by
calling Hockley Highlands Inn and Conference Centre at 1 800 767-8071 or
emailing [log in to unmask] The inclusive price for three nights
accommodation and all meals and coffee breaks is $370. The Inn is holding a
block of rooms for us until March 30; it can't guarantee availability after
that (but try anyway).

Our program is taking shape and will soon be up on the website. Here's a
preview:

-- We are proud to announce that our Friday-evening keynote speakers are
the Chicago expats Heather and Roger Graves, who will get us talking about
"Canada as Context."

-- Another thread in the conference will be a communal poster paper.
Sharron Wall and Nan Johnson will inspire us to depict the changing visions
of Canadian writing theory and practice in the form of a wall chart.

-- Russ and Anne Hunt will wake us up on Friday morning with a session on
reflective narrative, promising "We'll Show You Ours If You'll Show Us
Yours."

-- Other topics move from dialogue journals in China and in London,
Ontario, to critical thinking in an art college and an interdisciplinary
program, to reading literature in Manitoba, interpreting texts in North
York, and teaching oral communication in St. John. We'll look together at
models of WAC, writing-centre collaborations, adult students in an
upgrading program in Edmonton and a government building in Ottawa ... and
many other great topics. The final session will look to the future of our
profession by showcasing two ways of preparing people to teach writing.

-- There will be time to read the material people have brought (using the
Inn's communal indoor and outdoor spaces), then a designated time to sit
down and discuss it.

-- On Saturday evening, we'll descend on Nancy White's handsome house in
the hamlet of New Lowell and enjoy a banquet of local foods and a night of
Inkshed talents.

Lots to look forward to! Just remember to send in your registration form
(see http://www.stthomasu.ca/inkshed/inkshed20 or write
[log in to unmask]) and book your accommodation with Hockley
Highlands (call 1 800 767-8071 or write [log in to unmask]).

N.B. Budget permitting, Inkshed tries to subsidize graduate students and
the underemployed. If you're in one of those categories, save your travel
and accommodation receipts and ask about a partial reimbursement after the
conference.

See you soon!

Margaret Procter
for the Inkshed 20 organizing committee